Sustainability Advocacy Group (SAG)
Managing resources and operations to provide long-term public and environmental benefits. We focus on:
- Outperforming regulatory requirements
- Basing decisions on reducing our "net environmental impact"
- Fostering a culture of conservation and recycling
- Increasing energy efficiency through use of alternative energy sources and innovative technologies
HRSD's employee Sustainability Newsletter - includes articles on projects HRSD is or has pursued to provide long term environmental benefit, as well as articles on ideas to take home.
- Spring 2017 (pdf)
- Summer 2016 (pdf)
- Winter 2016 (pdf)
- Summer 2015 (pdf)
- Winter 2015 (pdf)
- Summer 2014 (pdf)
- Winter 2014 (pdf)
- Fall 2013 (pdf)
- Summer 2013 (pdf)
- Spring 2013 (pdf)
- Winter 2013 (pdf)
- Fall 2012 (pdf)
- Summer 2012 (pdf)
- King William Treatment Plant - Zero Discharge
- Nansemond Treatment Plant - Fats, Oils and Grease (FOG) Fermentation Project
- Atlantic Treatment Plant - Digester Combined Heat Power (pdf)
- Nansemond/Boat Harbor Treatment Plants - Ammonia Based Aeration Control (pdf)
Each fiscal year, HRSD puts together an annual carbon footprint report. Below is the most recent report, which compares HRSD to a wastewater entity that is similar in size.
HRSD Fiscal Year 2013 Carbon Footprint Report (pdf)
Join HRSD or create your own team for the following volunteer events, and help make a positive impact on the environment in your community:
- Keep America Beautiful: Virginia Great American Clean-Up Participating Organizations
- Earth Action Day at Atlantic Treatment Plant, Virginia Beach
- Arbor Day
- RiverFest, downtown Norfolk (behind Nauticus)
- Clean the Bay Day
And remember; Hampton Roads is surrounded by beautiful rivers and wetlands that need our help in preserving and restoring for future generations. Check out other great events and workshops provided locally, and do your part to make a difference!
- Ask HR Green - Events Calendar
- Chesapeake Bay Foundation - Events Calendar
- Elizabeth River Project
- Lynnhaven River NOW
- Hampton Roads Sustainable Living Expo
- EPA Sustainability Website
- TFC Recycling - List of Recyclable Products
For additional information or to share your comments, please e-mail SAGTeam@hrsd.com or call 757-244-1671.