Written by Lacie Wever, HRSD Community Education and Outreach Specialist Published on October 25, 2021
This year on October 21, groups all over the country came together to educate their communities and find solutions to combat a rapidly changing climate and aging infrastructure. For most people, the systems that bring us this valuable resource are generally reliable and remain out of sight, out of mind. For others, a day without water is a frustrating reality with seemingly few solutions.
Imagine a Day Without Water is a national day of action on October 21 and raises awareness about the value of water. Have you ever thought about where your drinking water comes from? What about where your wastewater goes? For its seventh annual day, we urge you to take a few steps beyond imagining the reality of going without a resource as vital as water. We would like you to take action by learning about the systems that deliver water to your homes and businesses each day.
As an individual, you may wonder where you fit into ensuring a day without water doesn’t become a reality in your community. It’s a daunting task, but our collective voice can make a real, lasting impact.
Here are some ways you can celebrate Imagine A Day Without Water:
- Take a SWIFT Research Tour to learn how we are bringing wastewater to drinking water standards.
- Visit https://imagineadaywithoutwater.org/resources to learn about the Value of Water
- Consider ditching your single-use water bottles and drinking tap water in a reusable bottle instead.
- Share one of our social media photos on your social media, be sure to tag us @HRSDVA on Facebook or Twitter
- Visit a body of water (the beach, the Chesapeake Bay, or a nearby river)
Seriously, can you imagine a day without water?
No matter your reason for participating in Imagine a Day Without Water, continue the conversation with your friends, family, and co-workers about the value of water. A day without water doesn’t have to be inevitable. Let’s work toward a reality in which a day without water is something we only imagine.
For information on Imagine a Day Without Water and how you can participate, visit the event website.