--Portion of Chesapeake Avenue Closing to Thru Traffic--
HRSD, your regional wastewater treatment utility, is replacing a sanitary sewer pipeline located along a portion of Chesapeake Avenue from the Monitor Merrimac Overlook Park to the HRSD Pumping Station near Claremont Avenue. This work should take place primarily between the hours of 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
- The contractor has completed pipe installation in Newport News and Hampton and will begin connecting the two pipes at Pear Avenue.
- Work will include temporary above ground piping.
- Beginning as early as May 15, the intersection of Chesapeake Avenue and Pear Avenue will be closed to thru traffic in all directions. Residents living along the work zone will still be able to access their homes.
- A signed detour will be in place redirecting thru traffic around the construction via 19th Street/Shatto Drive.
- This work can be weather and situation dependent and should not affect your water or sewer services.
While our project team works diligently to minimize impacts, you may notice increased noise and traffic, work crews, and heavy equipment (with back-up safety alarms) associated with construction. Please take care when traveling around the construction area and for your own safety, do not enter the site.
For additional information please visit the project’s website page, https://www.hrsd.com/chesapeake-avenue.
Thank you for your patience and understanding as HRSD works to protect public health and the waters of Hampton Roads in keeping with our vision:
Future generations will inherit clean waterways and be able to keep them clean.
Should you have any questions or comments, you may contact:
Karen C. Russo-Scarano