Welcome. Since HRSD's inception, there has been one overriding mission -- to protect public health and the waters of Hampton Roads by treating wastewater effectively. HRSD returns treated effluent to nature in a way that will continue to nurture our water's delicate ecosystems.
HRSD's workforce of scientists, engineers, water quality professionals and other staff know they must be sensitive to the needs of people and also be sensitive to the plants and animals who rely on our ability to protect their habitats.
We believe every individual has the responsibility to act with proper regard for others and to embrace the following values:
Our Environment: We care about our environment.
- We operate our facilities to comply with all permits, laws, rules, and regulations.
- We promote environmental rules and regulations based upon sound science.
- We provide needed facilities in a timely fashion.
Our Customers and Employees: Our customers and employees are important to us.
- We treat everyone with courtesy, dignity, and respect.
- We show understanding and fairness.
- We have open communications.
- We provide safe facilities.
- We provide good working conditions for our employees.
Quality Service: Quality service is our standard.
- We meet or exceed the expectations of our customers.
- We provide effective and efficient service.
- We promote excellence and continuous improvement.
- We provide helpful and cooperative assistance.
- We promote innovative and imaginative solutions.
- We promote fiscal responsibility.
Integrity: Integrity creates trust.
- We expect honesty and truthfulness.
- We expect conscientiousness and dependability.
- We expect maturity and self-discipline.
- We expect responsibility and accountability.
- We expect loyalty and commitment to HRSD.
Personal Growth: Personal growth is the foundation for improvement.
- We promote education, training, and experience.
- We promote knowledge and skills.
- We promote leadership.
- We empower employees.
- We promote professionalism.
Teamwork: Teamwork is essential for continuous improvement.
- We promote problem solving through teamwork.
- We promote a win-win philosophy in our work.
Stewardship: We are responsible for HRSD.
- We base decisions on the best interest for the whole organization.
- We are responsible for our future success.
HRSD's service area includes 18 cities and counties of southeast Virginia, an area of over 3,087 square miles with a population of 1.7 million. We work closely with the localities to meet their wastewater treatment needs. Click on the links below to visit the web sites of these cities and counties.